WE GOT A NEW DINGHY! 🙂 Ohhh, happy day.
One of our biggest lessons from our first cruising season is that our electric torqueedo motor just wasn’t equipped for the long hauls to and from the anchorages in the Bahamas. It’s a great set up if your a boat owner on the lake but not for the islands. It limited us on the range in which we could explore. Sometimes it’d take almost a full battery just one way (5 miles) so we’d have to carry the charger with us. Charge up and then ride back. When re-filling water/diesel by jerry cans the extra weight and currents didn’t help us on stretching the battery either, which made the process much longer. Not to mention it was an extra item to charge on the boat, it’s a slow charge too so it definitely subtracted from our house battery bank – but not anymore!
Brent took the dinghy out for a test drive while I was in London, and he got it to plane and up to 20mph! The motor was a steal of a deal, and exactly what Brent wanted. We looked for a while for a 15-2 stroke in good condition, you’ll find some old ones but it’s not easy to find newer ones sold in the U.S since there no longer offered. In fact, the one we bought originally came all the way from Australia. I’m just happy that the 2-stroke engine is lighter than others we could have had. Haha. Since I help winch it up and down off the boat. We also finished the dinghy davits off the back so now we can tow her safely and not on the front deck.
As for the dinghy itself, it’s a major upgrade from our West Marine inflatable. This girl is solid and sturdy! Now all we have to do is name her.
- Length: 10′ 0″
- Beam: 5′ 5″
- Weight: 95 Lbs
- Capacity: (4+1) Persons or 1093 Lbs
- Maximum Motor 15 hp (Maximum Motor Weight 123 Lbs)
- Tube Diameter: 16″
- Separate Air Chambers: (3)
- Stowed Dimensions: 8′ 6 x 3′ 11″ x 1′ 8″
- Fabric Type: German Haku PVC (Welded Seam Construction)
Factory Warranty: 5 years.
Standard Features Include:
- Marine Grade 5052 Aluminum Hull with White AkzoNobel Coating
- Non-Skid Cockpit Strips
- Full-Length Keel Guard
- Welded Bow Eye
- Fold Down Locking Oar System with Oar Holders
- Two Piece Breakdown Aluminum Oars
- Removable Rowing Seat
- Underseat Storage Bag
- Zodiac Dry Storage Bag
- Deflecting Double Rub Strake
- Full-Length Keel Guard
- 2 Carry Handles
- Grab Handles
- Aluminum Motor Clamp Plate
- Transom Drain Plug
- Davit Lifting Points (3 & 4 Point Lift System)
- Towing Bridle D-Rings (Port and Starboard)
- Bow Buttons Installed for Optional Bow Bag
- Foot Pump
- Repair Kit
- Owner’s Manual
Cheers from Florida!